13 Things to Know About the Charts This Week: ‘Despacito’ Continues Its Summer Sizzle:
Luis Fonsi and Daddy Yankee’s “Despacito,” featuring Justin Bieber, adds a 12th week to its run atop the Billboard Hot 100, tying Ed Sheeran’s “Shape of You” for the longest-leading No. 1 song of 2017.
Plus, Lana Del Rey rules the Billboard 200 with her latest studio album Lust For Life, helping the singer reach a new peak on the Billboard Artist 100 at No. 2. Linkin Park rules as the week’s top overall act on the chart.
Here are 13 other things you should know about Billboard’s charts this week:
1. At roughly two-thirds of the way through the summer, “Despacito” has led the Songs of the Summer chart for the entirety of the list’s first nine weeks. Click here to read the full update.
2. More on “Despacito”: The smash hit is now among only 19 songs to ever lead the Hot 100 for at least 12 weeks. Billboard looks back on the longest-leading Hot 100 No. 1 hits. Click here to read the full post.
3. Happy Birthday, Hot 100! Billboard’s flagship songs chart turned 59 years old on Friday (Aug. 4). To celebrate, we look back at 59 fun facts about the chart. Click here to read the full article.
4. Congrats are in order for One Direction! As Louis Tomlinson’s “Back to You,” featuring Bebe Rexha and Digital Farm Animals, debuts at No. 40 on the Hot 100, all five members of the group have now charted solo top 40 hits. Only two other groups have as many members with individual top 40 Hot 100 hits. Click here to read the full story.
5. Sam Hunt’s “Body Like A Back Road” breaks the record for most weeks at No. 1 on the Hot Country Songs chart, leading the list for a 25th week. The song breaks the 24-week reign of Florida Georgia Line’s “Cruise.” Click here to read the full article.
6. More record-breaking news: Linkin Park charts a record-breaking 23 titles on the Hot Rock Songs chart, following the death of frontman Chester Bennington on July 20. The band is also the first act to rank at Nos. 1, 2 and 3 simultaneously. Click here to read the full post.
7. On the latest Hot 100, Cardi B’s breakthrough hit “Bodak Yellow (Money Moves)” rockets into the top 40, while J Balvin and Willy William’s “Mi Gente” jumps 42-30. Click here to read this week’s Hot 100 Chart Moves.
8. Over on the Billboard 200, two former No. 1 albums, The Weeknd’s Beauty Behind the Madness (No. 76) and Halsey’s Badlands (No. 121), score 100 straight weeks on the chart. Plus, Linkin Park charts eight albums on this week’s list. Click here to read this week’s Billboard 200 Chart Moves.
9. Tyler, The Creator earns his third No. 1 on the Top R&B/Hip-Hop Albums chart, as Flower Boy debuts atop the list. Plus, Meek Mill starts at No. 2 with his latest effort Wins and Losses. Click here to read the full story.
10. In other album news, Romeo Santos earns the biggest week of 2017 for a Latin studio album, as his latest effort Golden debuts at No. 1 on Top Latin Albums with 36,000 equivalent album units. Click here to read the full article.
11. “Heyyy Macarena!” On the latest Chart Beat Podcast, Gary Trust and Trevor Anderson count down the Hot 100’s top 40 from this week in 1996. Click here to listen to the full podcast.
12. Over on the Pop Shop Podcast, Keith Caulfield and Katie Atkinson sit down with John Mayer to discuss his new tour, the unique rollout of his The Search for Everything album, and touring with Dead & Company. Click here to listen to the full podcast.
13. New Kids on the Block’s 2017 Total Package Tour, which wrapped last month after a nine-week run through 46 North American cities, earns the group $40 million. Click here to read the full story.